- Committed to Quality
- Safe Working Practices
- Code of Practice
- Adequately Insured
- Properly Informed
In a creative industry such as videography, it can be easy not to look beyond a supplier’s creative abilities and to understand what other qualities you should be looking for. We hope this brief explanation of the benefits of employing an IOV member will enable you to make a better choice.
On joining the IOV, all members agree to act in accordance with our Code of Practice (see below). This document has been continually developed since the IOV was founded in 1985 – and includes all the key areas of conduct which we believe a professional videographer should work to. One of the main benefits to you is that our members have made a commitment to a trade association with a common cause, and that’s to promote professionalism within video production.
Their membership provides them with certain benefits that should enable them to work more efficiently, fairly and in line with common practices throughout the industry. Members keep abreast of video technology, techniques and practices through our online forums and website facilities and features in our monthly magazine. By networking at IOV events and local meetings, they can ensure they are adopting the best possible practices and delivering a service common to other likeminded professionals.
As a further reassurance to you, all IOV members must accept the right of their clients to refer any contractual disputes to the IOV Arbitration Office – and to agree to any findings they decide upon in such cases. This in itself differentiates our members from those who choose to work outside of any such framework. All members undertaking commercial activity will carry adequate Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance.
They will understand their requirements with regard to copyright, moral rights and any legislative or local restrictions that might be imposed on them in their work – and the impact these may have on the services they provide. They will understand their obligations of client confidentiality and the confidentiality of any information entrusted to them. And, of growing importance these days, they will at all times observe current Health & Safety regulations and have due consideration for the safety and welfare of staff, clients and the general public.
Look No Further
We hope you agree that these characteristics are what every client expects from their videographer – but not every videographer is willing or able to commit to providing this level of service and customer care. By employing an IOV member you will have Europe’s leading professional videography trade association helping them to exceed your expectations.
Contacting the IOV
If you have any further questions about the benefits of using an IOV Member, or the process of reporting matters to our Arbitration Officer, please feel free to contact our Central Office on +44 (0) 208502 3817 – or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The IOV Code of Practice
On joining the IOV each member agrees to abide by the guidelines laid down in this code of practice. In the advent of arbitration, any member deviating from the Code of Practice must be able to justify their actions to the Executive.
- Each member will conduct business in a professional manner and will at no time knowingly indulge in any practice or action likely to bring the Institute, its executive or membership into disrepute.
- Each member will accept the right of his/her client to forward any complaint to the IOV Executive for Arbitration. The IOV’s ruling on Arbitration matters is final and binding on members subject, of course, to the members normal statutory rights.
- Each member will at all times strive to maintain the highest standards of production in line with any IOV qualification which may have been obtained or advertised.
- Any ‘Ordinary’ member of the IOV will refrain from advertising in a way which may infer either a qualification or endorsement from the IOV. Ordinary members may not use any IOV crest or logo but are within their rights to state that they are a member of the IOV if the statement makes clear that they are an Ordinary member.
- Each Member will work within the reasonable terms set by the member’s client, or by any official or body possessing the correct and legal authority to set limitations and restrictions. Furthermore, it is the Member’s responsibility to inform the client of any adverse effects on the final production resulting from, and/or caused by imposition of any such limitations or restrictions.
- All members undertaking commercial activity in the video and multimedia field must carry adequate Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance. Upon request, such policies are to be made available for inspection by the Executive of the IOV.
- Members shall at all times maintain the confidentiality of information either entrusted to them or obtained in pursuance of their work except on the order of a court of law or other appropriate authority.
- Members will at all times observe current Health & Safety regulations and have due consideration for the safety and welfare of staff, clients and the general public.
- Members will strive to maintain good commercial relationships with other members of the IOV with a view to promoting professionalism in video and multimedia production.